Every move is stressful to some degree. However, for a streamlined process, it is always better to hire a professional mover rather than to enlist the services of family and friends. By hiring a reputable moving company, everything will go smoother, thereby minimizing your stress level.
- Start Early – Even when hiring a professional mover, you still need to accomplish some things yourself. To avoid stress, get started on your responsibilities as early as possible. For instance, if you decide to pack up your home as opposed to having the moving company handle that aspect of the job, get quality boxes and packing material and then start packing a month out.
- Effort – Realistically, moving requires a lot of energy. Instead of trying to convince yourself otherwise, be honest that you will likely feel some degree of frustration. Pretending that you will have an uneventful move will only increase your stress load.
- Longer than Expected – Preparing for a move takes more time than you might anticipate. However, a team of experts working on your behalf can dramatically reduce the time it takes for you to complete the job. As a prime example, you can take advantage of add-on services offered by the moving company like packing and unpacking, thereby speeding up the process and reducing your stress.
- Know Your Goods – Instead of assuming a professional mover will get all your goods moved, make sure there are no limitations. For instance, if you have a baby grand piano, you need confirmation from the company you hire that it can handle that item. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a position of needing to make last-minute arrangements that would send your stress over the top.
- Documentation – The great thing about hiring a professional mover is that you have confidence the crew will handle your possessions with the utmost respect. However, accidents happen even to reputable moving companies. For your protection and to reduce any stress, always document expensive items. Not only do you want to make a list, but you should also take photos so that if you need to file a claim, you have visual proof.
- Overnight Bag – If you plan to hire a long-distance or interstate professional mover, you will arrive at your new home ahead of your belongings. You can avoid stress while waiting for the truck to come by putting an overnight bag together. Include extra clothing, toiletries, medication, snacks and bottled water, toys for the children, food and leashes for any pets, essential documents, and so on.