After finding a new place to live, you need to decide on the right moving company. However, you feel stressed because your move falls around Thanksgiving. Fortunately, when staying in town or within 200 miles from where you currently live, you can depend on the services of a well-respected company that provides local services. Here are some tips from top local moving and storage companies to make the process go more smoothly.
- Get Rid of “Stuff” – While decluttering your home may not seem like that big of a deal, it is, considering that it will save you a significant amount of time when moving during the Thanksgiving holiday. By getting rid of things, you will spend less time packing but also less money on the move since the price is based on the weight of the goods.
- Healthcare and Services – As explained by reputable local moving and storage companies, if you plan to move to the other side of town, you might need to find a new primary care physician and identify services located closer to your new address. Ultimately, you want to line up several potential doctors to speak with and gather information about grocery stores, dry cleaners, car washes, banks, and other services that you use. If you have children, you might also need to get them enrolled in a different school. Before moving day, make sure that you have all transcripts, immunization records, and other pertinent documentation organized.
- Organizing Electronics – Local moving and storage companies also suggest that you get electronics and associated cables arranged before the moving crew arrives. Not only will that help streamline their job, it will also reduce the risk of something getting misplaced.
- High-Dollar Items – For anything of significant value, take a photo. If an item gets damaged or destroyed during transit, you have proof to submit along with your claim.
- Using Clear Containers – Local moving and storage companies recommend that you use high-quality boxes for packing most of your possessions and then clear plastic containers for items that you will need during the first few days in your new home. That way, you can quickly differentiate things that you need immediately from those that you can take longer to unpack. You might even put a box together of Thanksgiving decorations to make your new place feel festive immediately after arriving.
Matheson Moving and Storage is among the most reliable and trusted moving and storage companies in the area. For help with your upcoming move, contact us for a free quote.